Being sick is the worst. This time of year seems to bring out the colds in people. I was going to say there's nothing like having a cold during the winter months, but really there's no good time to get sick, and colds during the summer may even be worse. In any case when either of us begin feeling that dreaded scratchy throat, runny nose, or itchy ears we have a natural health care regime that we promptly begin. As per my philosophy on health and wellness I think it's important to provide your body with what it needs to fight off any illness rather than take meds to lessen the symptoms momentarily. (Obviously there's a place for said meds too, because let's be honest, relief from that stupid one nostril being plugged for any amount of time can provide a little light at the end of the tunnel.) Here are the things I keep on hand once those symptoms start popping up, in hopes of lessening the degree of sick.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This is something I always have on hand. There are a zillion health benefits related to making ACV a part of your health regimen. One of the things I take it for regularly is digestion. I've always suffered from heart burn, however, once I started taking ACV regularly I was completely free of heart burn/digestive issues. As far as the benefits of taking it once you feel a cold coming on: it's full of antioxidants, it balances PH levels which helps kill viruses and bacteria, it clears sinuses and provides relief for a sore throat. I take 1 TBSP diluted in a little water when needed. Be sure to purchase the ACV "with the mother" this makes a difference.
- Netti Pot. Again, this is a part of our regular health and wellness routine but is especially helpful in clearing out your sinuses during a cold. It helps get rid of excess mucus (sorry if that's TMI). I know there are solutions you can use in your net pot, I keep it simple with a little room temp. water and a small amount of himalayan pink salt diluted in the water.
- Oil of Oregano. A 3-5 drops in a little water does wonders. This oil has anti-viral properties, which can help fight a cold, as well as provide relief from a sore throat. Often just to get it down I will put a TBSP of ACV and a few drops of Oil of Oregano in a little water and get it down all at once. (I didn't promise this would be tasty).
- Fresh Thyme, Honey & Lemon. Finally something enjoyable to sip on after ACV & Oil of Oregano. Truly sipping on anything hot feels nice when you are sick. Steeping a little fresh thyme in some hot water, with honey and fresh lemon juice has wonderful health benefits. Thyme is antimicrobial, while honey is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. The lemon helps detoxify your body. Win, win, win, win.
- Cinnamon Sticks. One thing to consider when sick and holed up at home is the environment around you. Keeping the air fresh and clean is important. I put a small pot of water on the stove, add a few cinnamon sticks, maybe some cloves and orange peels and allow it to simmer on low. The combination smells amazing and the cinnamon cleans and humidifies the air, provides anti-bacterial properties, and can help relieve sore throat pain.
- Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa Herbal Syrup. This is more for when you begin feeling the end symptoms of your cold as you begin to heal. That itchy, dry throat is the worst. I keep this on hand and it provides immediate relief from cough and sore throat. It tastes better than most cough syrup. It's sweet and goes down easily. 1 TBSP does the trick!
A few notes || All of these things can be found at your local health food store. ||As per common sense, be sure to be smart about what you're putting into your body & if symptoms persist, see your Doctor ||